Post by Arlen Holder
There is one caveat though, which is that you should have downloaded and
installed the free SharePod versions prior to version 3.9.6 when I posted
those helpful tutorials years ago, because, while SharePod version 3.9.6
still works today just fine, you'll have a devil of a time *finding* it on
the net nowadays.
Hi Pete Cresseell,
Since sharepod resides on the iPod itself, it's independent of Windows (so
to speak), since it acts as a "portable app" acts.
Given that I have a bunch of iPods, I just checked my iPod archives for
you, where any version you can locate on the net before 3.9.6 (i.e., 3.9.6
and older) works fine sans iTunes.
Any version on or after version 3.9.7 requires the iTunes abomination.
Any version older than version 2.x requires Net Framework 3.5.
The executable resides on the iPod itself.
*DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY SHAREPOD OFF THE NET NEWER THAN 3.9.6!*
Every version from 3.9.7 (27 November 2010) & up requires iTunes!
(Here are the installation logs up until then).
Version 3.9.7 - 27 November 2010 <==== do not use this version or newer!
* Added: support for iTunes 10.1 and above
Version 3.9.6 - 15 July 2010 <=== use this version or older
* Updated: UI updates to follow modern Windows UI conventions
* Fixed: Cross-thread issues which caused random crashes often when
* Added: Doesnt run as administrator in Vista/Win7
* Added: We can now drag-drop files to and from Explorer
* Fixed: Songs sometimes imported into iTunes with 'Remember position'
Version 3.9.5 - 7 April 2010
* Added: iTunes 9.1 support
* Fixed: Occasional sqlite database corruption on iPhone/iTouch when
deleting tracks. SharePod now waits until the iPhone/iTouch has finished
updating its internal database.
Version 3.9.4 Preview 10 - 29 October 2009
* Fixed: Nano 5G issues with editing track details and menu ordering
Version 3.9.4 Preview 9 - 18 October 2009
* Added: Nano 5G support
Version 3.9.4 Preview 8 - 27 September 2009
* Fixed: Occasional sqlite database corruption on iPhone/iTouch when
Version 3.9.4 Preview 7 - 21 September 2009
* Fixed: Random errors
* Added: Automatic update prompt. Every 2 weeks SharePod will check for
a new version.
Version 3.9.4 Preview 6 - 16 September 2009
* Fixed: Albums with multiple artists and sorting "The Band" as "Band"
Version 3.9.4 Preview 5 - 15 September 2009
* Added: iTunes 9 compatibility
* Added: Firmware 3.1.1 compatibility
* Added: Media Player has track position bar
Version 3.9.4 Preview 4 - 4 September 2009
* Fixed: 'An item with the same key has already been added' error
Version 3.9.4 Preview 3 - 1 September 2009
* Fixed: Not handling some track properties correctly
Version 3.9.4 Preview 2 - 31 August 2009
* Added: More debug logging
Version 3.9.4 Preview 1 - 30 August 2009
* Added: Firmware 3.x read/write support. This preview version only
supports adding mp3/m4a files.
Version 3.9.3 - 8 July 2009
* Added: iTouch / iPhone firmware 3.x read-only support
Version 3.9.1 - 22 May 2009
* Added: iTunes 8.2 compatibility
Version 3.9.1 - 22 May 2009
* Fixed: Automatic iTunes import now works with iTunes 8.1.x
* Added: iPhone 'Cancel Sync' slider now works with SharePod (thanks
* Fixed: More robust iPhone handling (thanks Alex)
* Fixed: Crash when iPhone goes to sleep / disconnects while SharePod
* Fixed: NullReferenceException when loading some iPods.
* Fixed: Random bug fixes
Version 3.9 - 6 March 2009
* Added: Photo support! Copy photos from your iPod to PC.
* Fixed: Some SharePod-added tracks cannot be auto-synced in iTunes
Version 3.8.9 R2 - 20 February 2009
* Fixed: Some ArtworkDB load errors
* Fixed: External media player error
Version 3.8.9 - 9 February 2009
* Fixed: Sometimes album art not displayed in track properties and
* Fixed: After adding artwork to iPhone with SharePod, iTunes would
sometimes corrupt it.
* Fixed: Better reporting of unexpected errors
Version 3.8.8 - 9 February 2009
* Added: iPhone 3G / iTouch firmware 2.x support
* Added: Automatically add tracks to iTunes
* Added: Updated media player now works with iTouch and iPhones
Version 3.8.7 - 25 September 2008
* Added: iTunes 8 iPhone/iTouch compatibility (this Matt!)
* Added: New iPod Nano compatibility (thanks Chris!)
Version 3.8.6 - 4 August 2008
* Added: Column sorting saved between sessions
* Added: New 'Search' bar
* Fixed: Duplicate song entries in browser and Coverflow in some cases
Version 3.8.5 - 28 July 2008
* Added: If you don't have an Artwork database, SharePod will create
* Fixed: iPod Classic small artwork format now supported (Format 1062
Version 3.8.4 (Beta6) - 18 July 2008
* Added: Detection of new iPhone 3G / iTouch 2.0. The new firmware
locks out 3rd party applications, so SharePod can only copy music from iPod
Post by Arlen Holder
computer, not computer > iPod.
Version 3.8.4 (Beta5) - 9 July 2008
* Fixed: AFCFileRefOpen error 8 messgaes on some iPod Touches.
Version 3.8.4 (Beta4) - 5 July 2008
* Added: Support for adding videos to iPhone and iTouch
* Fixed: Duplication of some tracks when 'Backup iPod' is used.
Version 3.8.4 (Beta3) - 25 June 2008
* Support for jailbroken iPhone and iTouch models
Version 3.8.4 (Beta2) - 9 June 2008
* Artwork support for iTouch/iPhone. The only thing currently missing
is the Coverflow format, which is quite different to other iPods :(
* Eject doesn't crash SharePod when using an iTouch/iPhone
Version 3.8.4 (Beta) - 6 June 2008
* iPhone / iPod Touch support! You will need to have iTunes installed
for this to work currently.
- There is no artwork support yet (its coming.)
- See http://www.getsharepod.com/help/iphone.aspx for more details.
* Better handling of large artwork libraries for normal iPods. Thanks
to fitsic for the bug report.
Version 3.8.3 - 21 May 2008
* Reads embedded artwork from media file tags when copying to the iPod.
* Eject button re-enabled. Now properly tells Windows about the drive
* Backup iPod - 1-click copy all playlists and tracks to your PC.
* Re-worked Copy to PC screen
* iPod Shuffle's now work again. (I now have my own Shuffle to test
each new release with...)
* When Copying to PC, duplicate files are copied and renamed (eg. 'Copy
(2) of Come As You Are.mp3'), instead of being ignored.
SharePod 3.8.2 - 29 April 2008
* SharePod is now 1 file - SharePod.exe. No more .dll files to copy
* Full Podcast support
* Track artist alphabetization (The Beatles will appear under 'B', not
* Playlists ordered by name
* Drag n drop from explorer straight into a playlist
* M4b file support
And for those of you having problems at work/school where you don't
have admin rights:
* You'll only need to need to run SharePod with admin rights once
(SharePod will save the admin info it needs).
* Every time after that you'll be able to run it with limited
Edit - 1 May - Fix for iPod shuffles. Edit2 - (no, that didnt fix it)
SharePod 3.8.1 - 16th April 2008
(Bug fix release)
* Fix for Unable to delete track because missing ArtworkDB
* Fix for XmlException with Shuffles
* Added Diagnostics tab to SharePod Utility
SharePod 3.8 - 2nd April 2008
* Add/Remove Album art support. Finally, its here :)
* New 'Remember Position' track option. Videos now have this set by
* Shuffles should be working again.
* Videos dont play in random play mode in the Media Player
SharePod 3.7 - 5th March 2008
* View-only Album Art support! (Full read-write Album Art will be in
the next version)
- Album Art is now displayed in the Track Edit window.
* SharePod should now be able to detect your iTouch/iPhone if you are
using appropriate mounting software (iPhoneFS etc).
- Should be able to view your songs, and hopefully add/remove them too.
- Please post on the forums if you have tried v3.7 with your iTouch/Phone
* Fix for iTunes import: sometimes tracks were put into the wrong
playlist. This was caused by some versions of iTunes
interpreting the import xml file differently.
* Generally faster load times
SharePod 3.6.4 - 8th February 2008
* .Wav file support!
* Album Artist, Year, Disc Number, Number of Album Tracks, Number of
Discs imported from mp3/m4a/m4v files
* Added space used/remaining indicator
* Removed need for sharepod_input.dll, in_mp3.dll, mp4v2.dll. Go ahead
and delete them :)
* Added SharePod forums. Go to www.sturm.net.nz/forums and ask
questions/request new features
SharePod 3.6.3 - 6th December 2007
* More fixes for iPod Classic/Nano menu bug as some people still
affected after 3.6.2
* Added new 'Part of Compilation' flag to the Tag Editor window
* Can now delete Smart Playlists
SharePod 3.6.2 - 28th November 2007
* Fixed new Classic and Nano menu bug
* Fixed drag/drop for playlists and playlist reordering. *Vista*
drag/drop to Explorer still not working.
* Fixed bug when trying to make a track field (eg Artist) emtpy.
* Workaround for needing admin rights with older (non Classic/Nano 3G)
iPods. See http://faq.sturm.net.nz for details.
SharePod 3.6.1 - 17th October 2007
* Added support for 64bit OS's (XP 64bit, 2003 64bit, Vista 64bit
* Fixed 'Xml error' bug for older iPods and Shuffles
* Fixed 'ArgumentException' bug
* Included SharePodUtility in zip file.
SharePod 3.6 - 17th October 2007
* Added support for new iPods and iTunes!
SharePod 3.5 - 20th September 2007
* Fixed bug when sometimes deleting a playlist
* Added check to not try and update the newest iPod Touch and Classic.
Apple has made it much harder for 3rd party apps to update these iPods.
Workarounds are in progress but nothing is ready for this release.
SharePod 3.4 - 26th July 2007
* Better support for older iPods. And if SharePod cant read it, it
should give a better idea of what happend.
* Hopefully fixed bug for some people who couldnt drag/drop between
* Added multi-column sorting! When you sort now, you can select as
many columns as you want (and the direction)
* Added ability to choose between Safe mode and Normal mode when
SharePod cant confirm the iPod's compatibility. This could occur for some
simple reasons and is usually fine to continue.
* Fixed the filesize text on the statusbar when the size of the
selected files was above 2Gb.
* (29th July) Fixed "Invalid MHDP Length" error
SharePod 3.3 - 26th June 2007
* Dropped the silly 4 character version numbers (from now it will be
* Drag tracks up and down playlists to re-order them (this is the most
* To do this, select 1 or more tracks, and hold down ALT as you drag
them up or down the playlist.
* Fix for non-latin characters in filenames when exporting tracks to
* Removed the requirement to have an iTunes 7.1+ format database.
SharePod 184.108.40.206 - 31st May 2007
* Actually fixed the application hang bug when copying tracks to iPod
* Added Multi-line grid row mode (cells wrap long content if necessary)
SharePod 220.127.116.11 - 29th May 2007
* Dragging tracks to a playlist preserves ordering and keeps current
* Drop to Explorer now works properly and includes drop to Desktop
* Hopefully fixed application hanging when copying files problem
* Custom Copy to PC filename pattern now saved
* Minor changes
SharePod 3.0 - 18th May 2007
Major new feature list:
* iPod Shuffle support
* Video file import
* Play counts import
* Playlists and Ratings exported to iTunes
* Completely rewritten code to support adding/removing tracks and playlists from your iPod
* Multi-backup and restore system
* More track properties (Composer, Description etc.)
* Track tag editing
* Drag and Drop files straight from your iPod onto your computer (and
* Big speed improvements for loading & searching
* Written using .NET framework (better performance, Vista support and stability)
- To add tracks to a playlist, select 1 or more tracks, then drag-drop them
onto the playlist you want
to add them to. If they are already in the playlist they wont be added
- When copying to the iPod, each track is checked (Title, Artist, Album) to
see if it already exists. If it does, the track is not copied.
- SharePod now supports mp4/m4v files. Note the files you import must be
in the correct resolution/bitrate/etc for your iPod. SharePod doesnt
re-encode the video, it is assumed it is already fit for the iPod. A good
free encoder is Videora (http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/)
- To export a playlist to iTunes, right-click on the playlist and select
'Copy To PC'. This will copy all the tracks in the playlist to your
computer and create an iTunes Import file to link those tracks to a
Alternatively, if you copy the selected tracks in the normal way, SharePod
creates a default 'SharePod' playlist in iTunes.
- When using the Eject menu item, SharePod saves any outstanding changes,
sends the iPod its 'disconnect' command and exits. Sometimes Windows
displays an error message but this is safe to ignore.