What free Android app do you use to obtain moving graphs of fast charge current & voltage over time?
arlen holder
2019-02-20 07:56:18 UTC
What free Android app do you use to obtain moving graphs of fast charge
current & voltage over time (to test various chargers & cables at home)?

NOTE: I'm aware of payware hardware; I'm asking about free software.
<https://www.amazon.com/Centech-USB-Power-Meter/dp/B00DAR4ITE>

In the box of my $130 Stylo 3 Plus phablet is this currently unused
LG MCS-H05WR 9VDC/5VDC travel charger, labeled "fast charge":

At the LG web site, there doesn't seem to be a spec for that
LG Model MCS H05WR "fast charge" "travel charger", but at the LG site, the
phone itself is described as being fast-charge capable:
o LG Stylo 3 Plus: Fast Charging Capability (Quick Charge 2.0)
<https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-TP450-stylo-3-plus>

Since I'm all about facts, I called LG at 800-243-000 to confirm:
o They said the LG Stylo 3 Plus is definitely "fast charge" capable
But they too couldn't tell me more about their MCSH05WR charger.

I don't actually use _that_ charger, simply because I have plenty _other_
chargers (more ports, higher amperage, etc.) that I use instead:

However, nospam tells me, on the iOS groups (in no uncertain terms, which
is the "nospam way"), that my el cheapo $130 Android phone, even though it
seems to come with a "fast charge" charger, is not fast-charge capable,
despite what LG's site, the charger, & LG support clearly tell me.

Given I'm a man of facts, and not bullshit, I simply want to run a few
experiments of "fast charging" with a variety of those chargers, to see how
the various chargers & cables influence charge current & voltage over time.

--
Note: This is a question of what free apps YOU use;
I'll post research for freeware apps separately.
Libor Stříž
2019-02-20 08:26:51 UTC
What free Android app do you use to obtain moving graphs of fast chargecurrent & voltage over time (to test various chargers & cables at home)?
I frequently use 3C Battery Monitor widget, there is adsupport
free version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw

and (I guess paid ) Pro version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw.pro

I understand neither ads neither pay is not fully according your taste.
But I do like the application.

AFAIK, it does not measure the charging current directly ( not
sure if it ever can ),
But the out/in current from/to , among other things.

I noted more potentially useful utilities from this 3C company.
--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
arlen holder
2019-02-20 09:01:41 UTC
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 09:26:51 +0100 (GMT+01:00),
Post by Libor Stříž
I frequently use 3C Battery Monitor widget, there is adsupport
Hi Poutnik,
Thanks for that suggestion of the 3C Battery Monitor (free) version:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw>

Your suggestion, hopefully, will save me (& others) a lot of effort!

When I installed it, the first thing it asked was this "Ignore
optimizations" question, which I never know what to choose.
"3C Battery Monitor will run as normal in the background without
battery optimization. This may drain the battery quickly."
What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?

Then it asks which kind of "battery current flow" I would like:
o Automatic
o Estimated
o Android mA
o Reverse Android mA
o Android uA
o Reverse Android uA
o Standard mA
o Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II
o Innos D6000
o Motorola Moto G
o Motorola Moto G Reversed
o Nexus One, ZTE Quartz
o Nexus 5 K-msg (root required)
o Note 8 K-msg (root required)
o Reverse mA
o Reverse uA
o Transformer TF100
What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?

Then it asks for Battery capacity (mAH)
o from battery files
o from battery profile
What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?

Then it asks "Battery data recording"
o Record all the time
o Recording intervals
What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?

Then it asks about the UI:
o Graphics
o Split graphics
o User coded colors
o History
o Show mA in history
o Only %changes
What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?

In summary, if you have suggestions for that setup, let me know.

Otherwise, I'll simply empirically play with this seemingly nice app to see
how it graphically reports charge information so that I can test the phone,
and various chargers and cables, to see what the differences may be between
them.
--
NOTE: I never pay for apps, as you noted, and even more so, I rarely use
apps that have ads, but so far, the ads on this app don't seem to be
obnoxious (time will tell).
Libor Stříž
2019-02-20 13:53:18 UTC
When I installed it, the first thing it asked was this "Ignoreoptimizations" question, which I never know what to choose. "3C Battery Monitor will run as normal in the background without battery optimization. This may drain the battery quickly."What do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?
It is like as with many other apps that can have troubles to run
on background.
Turn off optimization if you want background monitoring,
E.g. charging with phone with the screen off, standby.
Then it asks which kind of "battery current flow" I would like:o Automatico ....
Here applies, Do not change defaults, unless you know why you are
doing it.
I would stay with automatic, unless it gives bad numbers. If it
does try others interested number is reasonable.
Try the items possibly related to your model first.
Then it asks for Battery capacity (mAH) o from battery files
from battery profile

I do not remember which is which.
One option is to use nominal value,
The other uses value from previous monitoring, when capacity was
determined by charge cycles.
Then it asks "Battery data recording"o Record all the timeo Recording intervalsWhat do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2872952charge05.png
It is trade off between battery drain and monitoring precission.
Choose default, or, for charging scenarios, choose more intensive
monitoring.
Then it asks about the UI:o Graphicso Split graphicso User coded colors o History o Show mA in historyo Only %changesWhat do you normally select for _that_ specific setting?<
It is rather try and play with stuff.
NOTE: I never pay for apps, as you noted, and even more so, I rarely useapps that have ads, but so far, the ads on this app don't seem to beobnoxious (time will tell).
I know. I pay for apps for 2 reasons.
If I want the particular app more than I want not to pay for it.
If I want to support the developer(s).
--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
123456789
2019-02-20 16:22:17 UTC
On 2/20/2019 6:53 AM, "Libor Stříž"
Post by Libor Stříž
I pay for apps for 2 reasons.
If I want the particular app more than I want not to pay for it.
If I want to support the developer(s).
Agreed. And reason 3 for me is to get rid of the ads. I suspect Arlen's
no-pay stance is mainly for principle. The $1 to $5 cost has never been
a burden for me and I doubt it is for most others...
Libor Striz
2019-02-21 06:02:48 UTC
Post by 123456789
Agreed. And reason 3 for me is to get rid of the ads.
Hehe, sure.
For me, it falls into the reason 1.
I want sometimes the ads free version more
Than I want not to pay for it. :-)
Post by 123456789
I suspect Arlen's no-pay stance is mainly for principle.
Yes, I know. We had a long discussion about it in past.

But the principle of never appreciating the developer hard work
by a minor money stimulus can be questioned. :-)

So does keeping this principle above what you want.
--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
arlen holder
2019-02-20 09:26:19 UTC
Post by Libor Stříž
AFAIK, it does not measure the charging current directly
BTW, as an experiment, I just now pulled the Android "current_now" file:

Using this command from Windows using the free Android Studio "adb":
adb pull /sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_now c:\tmp\current_now.txt

That Android "current now" file reports only one number, which was: "3356".
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-20 16:25:28 UTC
Poutnik,

Can you please 'fix'/change your UTF-encoded 'From:' line and shorten
your lines? Thanks.

Now it looks a bit messy:

From: =?UTF-8?Q?"Libor_St=C5=99=C3=AD=C5=BE"_<poutnik4REMOVEn?=
=?UTF-8?Q?***@gmailCAPITALS.com.INVALID>?=

and
Libor Striz
2019-02-20 18:01:57 UTC
Thanks.

Ok. I was doing some debugging of my Android User client to
investigate,
why it sometimes makes good reply formatting, and why it sometimes
creates a single flow text mess, ignoring all EOLs.

And, I forgot to rather use the ASCII name version.

No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
123456789
2019-02-20 19:55:37 UTC
Post by Libor Striz
No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
I often use the paid version of your newsreader on my Android
tablets. Never had the problem. Might be worth the 5 bucks if you
like the reader. I found it had a large learning curve but worked
well once I figured it out. YMMV.

I'm currently using the free reader Groundhog on my phone while
sitting in a Target store waiting for the wife. Been using it for
years. It's simple and just works...
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-20 20:52:30 UTC
Post by 123456789
Post by Libor Striz
No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
I often use the paid version of your newsreader on my Android
tablets. Never had the problem. Might be worth the 5 bucks if you
like the reader. I found it had a large learning curve but worked
well once I figured it out. YMMV.
I'm currently using the free reader Groundhog on my phone while
sitting in a Target store waiting for the wife. Been using it for
years. It's simple and just works...
FSVSVO 'works':

Subject: =?US-ASCII?Q?Re:[OT]_Poutnik:_Please_fix_From:_and_li?==?US-ASCII?Q?ne
_length._(was:_Re:What=0A_free_Android_ap?==?US-ASCII?Q?p_do_you_use_to_obtain_moving_graphs_of_f?==?US-ASCII?Q?ast_charge_current=0A_&_voltage_over_time=3F)?

Why the fsck does it MIME encode a plain US-ASCII Subject:-header?

(My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense, but it shouldn't be
MIME encoded in the first place (because US-ASCII is the default).)

'MIME Encoded-Word'
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word>
123456789
Sorry, you lost me completely on that one. Were you replying to my post?
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-21 14:37:56 UTC
Post by 123456789
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by 123456789
Post by Libor Striz
[...]
Yes, I was replying to your post.

Apparently Groundhog does - unnessesarily - MIME-encode a Subject:
header which is in plain US-ASCII.

It changed the previous Subject: header, i.e. the one in Libor Striz'
post, which was

Subject: Re:[OT] Poutnik: Please fix From: and line length. (was: Re:What
free Android app do you use to obtain moving graphs of fast charge current
& voltage over time?)

to this mess (one very long line)

Subject: =?US-ASCII?Q?Re:[OT]_Poutnik:_Please_fix_From:_and_li?= =?US-ASCII?Q?ne_length._(was:_Re:What=0A_free_Android_ap?= =?US-ASCII?Q?p_do_you_use_to_obtain_moving_graphs_of_f?= =?US-ASCII?Q?ast_charge_current=0A_&_voltage_over_time=3F)?=

The '=?US-ASCII?Q?...' stuff is MIME-encoding.

MIME-encoding is needed if (some of) the characters in the header are
in a character set other than US-ASCII.

But as you can see, Groundhog is encoding characters which are
US-ASCII and hence do not need to be encoded.

Strictly speaking, what Groundhog is doing is not illegal (as in MUST
NOT), but it is unneccesary/unwanted/undesirable/<whatever>.

So hence my comment:

[Rewind/repeat:]
I hope this clears up the confusion.
123456789
2019-02-21 16:43:25 UTC
I'm currently using the free reader Groundhog on my phone...
Apparently Groundhog does - unnessesarily > MIME-encode a Subject: header which is in plain US-ASCII.
It changed the previous Subject: header...which was.. > Subject: [Readable subject snipped]
to this mess [Unreadable mess snipped]
Groundhog is encoding characters which are
US-ASCII and hence do not need to be encoded.
I hope this clears up the confusion.
Yep. Apparently your reader does not support the MIME Internet standard.
And even according to your site cite, MIME is still widely used. I
rechecked my post with several different newsreaders of mine and Google
Groups. None of them had a problem. Next time why not just switch to a
different reader? Otherwise please just ignore me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-21 19:42:40 UTC
Post by 123456789
I'm currently using the free reader Groundhog on my phone...
Apparently Groundhog does - unnessesarily > MIME-encode a Subject: header which is in plain US-ASCII.
It changed the previous Subject: header...which was.. > Subject: [Readable subject snipped]
to this mess [Unreadable mess snipped]
Groundhog is encoding characters which are
US-ASCII and hence do not need to be encoded.
I hope this clears up the confusion.
Yep. Apparently your reader does not support the MIME Internet standard.
Sigh!
Post by 123456789
(My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense, but it shouldn't be
MIME encoded in the first place (because US-ASCII is the default).)
So my newsreader *does* support MIME.
Post by 123456789
And even according to your site cite, MIME is still widely used. I
rechecked my post with several different newsreaders of mine and Google
Groups. None of them had a problem. Next time why not just switch to a
different reader? Otherwise please just ignore me...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word
Oh well, confusion on Usenet isn't an uncommon occurence, so better
luck next time! :-)
123456789
2019-02-21 20:50:16 UTC
Post by 123456789
Apparently Groundhog does - unnessesarily MIME-encode a
Subject: header which is in plain US-ASCII.
Here you complain that Groundhog unnecessarily MIME encodes.
[Readable subject matter] to this mess [Unreadable mess]
Here you complain that your newsreader won't decode Groundhog's MIME.
Post by 123456789
Apparently your reader does not support the MIME Internet
standard.
Here I say APPARENTLY your reader does not support MIME since SEVERAL
OTHER READERS AND GOOGLE GROUPS have no problem decoding Groundhog's MIME.
Post by 123456789
(My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense, but it shouldn't
be MIME encoded in the first place (because US-ASCII is the
default).)
Here you say that your reader does decode MIME. Just not Groundhog's
MIME because Groundhog shouldn't have been coded MIME in the first place???
So my newsreader *does* support MIME.
If you say so.
#t%^Gh &*HGT^% I*(&NBH *YU^%RE hja>:P"> <???yurie... ;)
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-21 21:22:35 UTC
Post by 123456789
Post by 123456789
Apparently Groundhog does - unnessesarily MIME-encode a
Here you complain that Groundhog unnecessarily MIME encodes.
Correct.
Post by 123456789
[Readable subject matter] to this mess [Unreadable mess]
Here you complain that your newsreader won't decode Groundhog's MIME.
Nope. I say ('complain') what *Groundhog* did when you replied to
Libor Striz' article.

I.e. the '[Unreadable mess]' is in the Subject: header of *your*
Groundhog-generated article. I.e. the 'mess' is in your article as it
went 'over the wire', i.e. in the 'source' version of your article. (In
Thunderbird you can do View -> Message Source to see the 'mess' in
your article. I.e. my, or anybody else's, newsreader has nothing to do
with it.)
Post by 123456789
Post by 123456789
Apparently your reader does not support the MIME Internet
standard.
Here I say APPARENTLY your reader does not support MIME since SEVERAL
OTHER READERS AND GOOGLE GROUPS have no problem decoding Groundhog's MIME.
Yes, that what you said, but you were mistaken.
Post by 123456789
Post by 123456789
(My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense, but it shouldn't
be MIME encoded in the first place (because US-ASCII is the
default).)
Here you say that your reader does decode MIME. Just not Groundhog's
MIME because Groundhog shouldn't have been coded MIME in the first place???
Nope. I said "My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense", where
If you say so! :-)
123456789
2019-02-21 22:40:58 UTC
In Thunderbird you can do View -> Message Source to see the 'mess'
in your article.
Ah yes. I do see Groundhog's source "mess" now. But who cares? Does
anyone (besides you) routinely read the source? What really counts is
what is shown on the newsreader Headers screen. And most, apparently
including yours, all show the Subject line as perfectly readable.
I said "My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense", where "this
nonsense" is Groundhog's (unneccesary) MIME.
So bottom line is you're bitching about the code in a very old
newsreader that causes no one any problems? It took me awhile but I
think I finally got it. Well I don't want to keep you from your fun.

Enjoy:

FSVSVO 'works':
Subject:
=?US-ASCII?Q?Re:[OT]_Poutnik:_Please_fix_From:_and_li?==?US-ASCII?Q?ne
Subject:
Subject:
=?US-ASCII?Q?Re:[OT]_Poutnik:_Please_fix_From:_and_li?==?US-ASCII?Q?ne
_length._(was:_Re:What=0A_free_Android_ap?==?US-ASCII?Q?p_do_you_use_to_obtain_moving_graphs_of_f?==?US-ASCII?Q?ast_charge_current=0A_&_voltage_over_time=3F)?
Why the fsck does it MIME encode a plain US-ASCII Subject:-header?
FSVSVO 'works
Subject:
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-22 16:49:40 UTC
Post by 123456789
In Thunderbird you can do View -> Message Source to see the 'mess'
in your article.
Ah yes. I do see Groundhog's source "mess" now. But who cares? Does
anyone (besides you) routinely read the source?
I don't remember why I looked at the source of your article.

Perhaps because of Libor Striz' (Poutnik') earlier UTF-8 encoded From:
line, which ended up un-decoded in arlen's attribution lines (no
surprise there! :-)).

Or maybe I was just interested how a Groundhog posting looked like,
considering the generally bad reputation of Android newsreaders.

But you're right, who cares? As long as it does not fsck up things,
it's not a problem.

It might fsck up arlen's home-grown 'newsreader', but that's not
really a disadvantage, is it!?
Post by 123456789
What really counts is
what is shown on the newsreader Headers screen. And most, apparently
including yours, all show the Subject line as perfectly readable.
I said "My newsreader properly decodes this nonsense", where "this
nonsense" is Groundhog's (unneccesary) MIME.
So bottom line is you're bitching about the code in a very old
newsreader that causes no one any problems? It took me awhile but I
think I finally got it. Well I don't want to keep you from your fun.
Is Groundhog a "very old newsreader"? Being an Android newsreader, it
can't be that old, can it? Or is it based on an earlier non-Android
newsreader.

Anyway, a newsreader isn't "very old" unless its heritage stems from
at least a few decades ago! :-) Mine is nearing four decades [1]
(<http://www.tin.org/history.html>) and still actively maintained/
enhanced!

'Announcement: TIN 2.4.3 (stable) was released on December 24, 2018'
<http://www.tin.org>

[1] My NetNews/Usenet experience is about the same.
Libor Striz
2019-02-22 18:02:04 UTC
Is Groundhog a "very old newsreader"? Being an Android newsreader, itcan't be that old, can it?
Old in Android context.
By a quick review, it was probably last updated in 2010.
It is abandoned for long time, written for an old Android version
in mind.
Newer Androids often spit out applications
written for very old A. versions,
or vice versa.
Mine is nearing four decades
Android is not here for 4 decades. :-)

Whatever comparable with Android age
is old in Android context.

40 years old sword is not old, as swords were used since bronze age.

40 years old computer is old, as they were not invented much
earlier, and they are aging quickly.
--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
123456789
2019-02-22 18:17:17 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Is Groundhog a "very old newsreader"? Being an Android newsreader, it
can't be that old, can it?
Perhaps I should have said that Groundhog is a very old ANDROID
newsreader. Android 1.0 was released on September 2008 and Groundhog was
released in April 2009. And I'll bet it fucked up your source code
back then too...

I first started using Groundhog in my Android 2 smartphone in 2013. And
it's the same version (from an archived apk file) that I'm now using in
an Android 8 tablet.
Post by Frank Slootweg
Anyway, a newsreader isn't "very old" unless its heritage stems from
at least a few decades ago! :-) Mine is nearing four decades...and
still actively maintained/enhanced!
Is this a my dick is bigger than your dick thing? Ok, you win...I agree
that you're a bigger dick... ;)
http://www.tin.org
https://www.newsdemon.com/blog/mobile-application-usenet-newsgroup-newsreaders-for-iphone-android-and-windows-mobile/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
Frank Slootweg
2019-02-22 18:44:29 UTC
[...]
Post by 123456789
Post by Frank Slootweg
Anyway, a newsreader isn't "very old" unless its heritage stems from
at least a few decades ago! :-) Mine is nearing four decades...and
still actively maintained/enhanced!
Is this a my dick is bigger than your dick thing? Ok, you win...I agree
that you're a bigger dick... ;)
You will be pleased to hear that my newsreader just crashed on me! :-)

Hasn't happened for ages, but serves me right for bragging!

It has been a fun exchange. Till we 'meet' again.

EOD.
Libor Striz
2019-02-21 17:05:01 UTC
Post by Libor Striz
No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
I often use the paid version of your newsreader on my Android tablets.
Never had the problem. Might be worth the 5 bucks if you like the
reader. I found it had a large learning curve but worked well once I
figured it out. YMMV.
It worked years OK, and then for weeks wrong, regarding the quoting.
Then weeks OK agains, until the phone gone dead.

On my new phone, it works bad agains.
I have suspicion it may interfere with andrpid updates.

Unfortunately, it is abandoned,
and paying for abandoned software seems weird to me.
I'm currently using the free reader Groundhog on my  phone while sitting
in a Target store waiting for the wife. Been using it for years. It's
simple and just works...
I came to the NewsGroup reader from Groundhog. :-)
But I abandoned as I got tired by endless scrolling
through endless quote chains. It also often crashed
and seems not supported by newer androids.

I used to see it when occasionally searching for the Usenet clients
on Google Play, but I vcannot see it for Android Pie offer.
( Xiaomi MI A2 )

It is an orfanware for many years so I do not wonder.
--
Libor aka The Wanderer

RFC parts violating laws by public exposing private information
cannot force me to fit them.
123456789
2019-02-21 17:46:53 UTC
I came to the NewsGroup reader from Groundhog. :-) It also often
crashed and seems not supported by newer androids.
Groundhog runs fine on my Galaxy Tab S4 using Android 8.1. YMMV.
Google Play no longer has Groundhog. I sideloaded it from my apk archives.
123456789
2019-02-23 20:08:20 UTC
I'm now trying the paid version on my Chromebook.
123456789
2019-02-23 20:13:22 UTC
Post by 123456789
Post by Libor Striz
No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
I often use the paid version of your newsreader on my Android tablets.
I'm now trying the paid version on my Chromebook.
That seemed to work. So if you ever get a Chromebook yours
should work also.

While I'm testing I'll try a SeaMonkey newsreader through a
CrossOver Windows emulator on this Chromebook...
123456789
2019-02-23 20:15:14 UTC
Post by 123456789
Post by 123456789
Post by 123456789
Post by Libor Striz
No free Android clients are good,
just some are less bad than others.
I often use the paid version of your newsreader on my
Android tablets.
I'm now trying the paid version on my Chromebook.
That seemed to work. So if you ever get a Chromebook yours
should work also.
While I'm testing I'll try a SeaMonkey newsreader through a
CrossOver Windows emulator on this Chromebook.
Ah. That seemed to work also. Good to know. Over and out...