GPS Acciracu
Add Reply
The Real Bev
2024-04-26 05:02:33 UTC
My family can track each other via google maps. Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel. Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone. Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile

Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
--
Cheers, Bev
Bluetooth is especially problematic in San Francisco because it
seem about equal. --Shaun Nichols
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-26 06:05:03 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
My family can track each other via google maps. Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel. Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone. Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
Are the GPS-location settings already set to the highest precision levels?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3467281?hl=en

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102647

Both articles will help you to maximise location precision. Pls read it
very carefully.

HTH, Jörg
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)
The Real Bev
2024-04-26 06:30:48 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by The Real Bev
My family can track each other via google maps. Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel. Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone. Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
Are the GPS-location settings already set to the highest precision levels?
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3467281?hl=en
Yup, all those were already ON. (Pixel2/Android 11) I have a keepgo
data SIM that I use my google voice number with, but it makes no
difference whether I turn that on or off as long as I have wifi on.
Post by Jörg Lorenz
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102647
No idea and daughter is somewhere in the Atlantic on her way to Iceland.
Still just off New York, of course :-( It will be maybe a month...
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Both articles will help you to maximise location precision. Pls read it
very carefully.
HTH, Jörg
Thx.
--
Cheers, Bev
Some people just can't be helped; you take 'em out of the rat race
for 5 minutes and they end up missing the rats! --XR650LDave
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-26 06:45:14 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Yup, all those were already ON. (Pixel2/Android 11) I have a keepgo
data SIM that I use my google voice number with, but it makes no
difference whether I turn that on or off as long as I have wifi on.
If I understand it correctly this setup prevents the triangulation of
the towers. You need a permanent connection to the cell towers. The
precise location has two elements in some cases even three: GPS Data and
tower triangulation and sometimes the location of the used wifi-router
if it is in the Google-Data-Base.
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)
micky
2024-04-26 22:46:25 UTC
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:45:14 +0200, Jörg Lorenz
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by The Real Bev
Yup, all those were already ON. (Pixel2/Android 11) I have a keepgo
data SIM that I use my google voice number with, but it makes no
difference whether I turn that on or off as long as I have wifi on.
If I understand it correctly this setup prevents the triangulation of
the towers. You need a permanent connection to the cell towers. The
precise location has two elements in some cases even three: GPS Data and
tower triangulation and sometimes the location of the used wifi-router
if it is in the Google-Data-Base.
--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Iacta. Icacta is Yiddish, I think. (Maybe that's fercacta.)

Seen this wrong twice. Wasn't worth correcting if only once.
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-27 03:03:09 UTC
Post by micky
Post by Jörg Lorenz
--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Iacta. Icacta is Yiddish, I think. (Maybe that's fercacta.)
Seen this wrong twice. Wasn't worth correcting if only once.
How embarrassing! THX. Corrected.
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)
The Real Bev
Kyonshi
2024-04-26 07:48:26 UTC
My family can track each other via google maps.  Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel.  Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone.  Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
I think that's a problem with Google Maps, I have noticed I am getting
rather inaccurate measurements when following my walks on Maps. It gets
a bit better if I actually use the application during the walk, but if I
don't it will just guesstimate my location and sometimes be hundreds of
meters off the target.
--
microblog: https://dice.camp/@kyonshi
macroblog: https://gmkeros.wordpress.com
pictures: https://portfolio.pixelfed.de/kyonshi
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-26 08:16:25 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
My family can track each other via google maps.  Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel.  Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone.  Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
I think that's a problem with Google Maps, I have noticed I am getting
rather inaccurate measurements when following my walks on Maps. It gets
a bit better if I actually use the application during the walk, but if I
don't it will just guesstimate my location and sometimes be hundreds of
meters off the target.
I can't confirm that neither for Androids nor iPhones.
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)
micky
2024-04-26 22:43:47 UTC
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:02:33 -0700, The Real Bev
Post by The Real Bev
My family can track each other via google maps. Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel. Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone. Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
It might be your aura.

If one of you has an exceptionally large aura, other members of the
family are likely to have it too.

A large aura can fool GPS, that is, let it attribute your location to
anywhere within the bounds of the aura.

People will great auras usually have dominent personalities, are very
talented and often become great successses.
micky
2024-04-27 06:42:04 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
My family can track each other via google maps. Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel. Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone. Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
When I really want to waste my time, I watch bad youtube videos, esp.
police arrest videos, and tonight, by coincidence, are so far 2 cases
where the police don't know wher the 911 call comes from and they have
to trace the cell phone!! In one case it's a house and they find the
right one (and a teenager accidently butt-called).

In the next case it's an apartment, and I don't know how they picked
which one. But they knocked politely for quite a while, then called
the cell number, but insisted she open the door (since criminals always
say everything is all right.) Long story short, she turned out to be a
wacko, who kept saying she had no time because she had to go to work,
and they could havce checked out her apartment** in 3 minutes that she
wasted frantically objecing. But they had the right apartment, on the
first try afaict. In a two story aparment building!! Maybe they have
better software than we do?

**Turns out she was lying when she said no one else whas inside. Some
guy was who they tased, and they arerested her. I told you it was a
waste of time!
Chris
2024-04-28 22:21:47 UTC
My family can track each other via google maps.  Updates are sometimes
infrequent and locations are frequently off by significant
(quarter-mile, half-mile) amounts or moving hundreds of feet while
asleep in a hotel.  Phones are Pixel 2 and daughter's almost-newest
iPhone.  Freeways, big cities, places where there are lots of towers.
Verizon and T-Mobile
Is it the phones or google or something completely different?
Being able to track someone's location is dependent on two things. 1)
GPS (and maybe wifi) to place the phone's location, 2) a data connection
to share the location with others.

Restrictions/limitations in either of those things will affect
accuracy/frequency of information.

It's safe to say that the systems are complex enough to say that "it
depends". Too many variables.

Sometimes with the four of us being all in the one house our locations
can still be wildly different.